Thursday 10 April 2014

My Off Road Adventures

Oh man! Stuck in the mud again
Splash!

"Great. Into another mud pool! Somebody help?"

Getting stuck in mud pool wasn't very uncommon, especially when we ride in Singapore or Malaysia during the monsoon season. Sometimes I'm able to pull myself out of the mud pool, sometimes I can't because it's just too deep and the mud is too sticky.

When the boys leave me behind to play first, zooming off ahead of me, I'd slowly make my way through the trail. If I were to fall and unable to help myself, I would just horn. But when my horn fails... I'll sing praises to God hahaha and hopefully the boys will come back for me soon.

Mooncake bruise

Yes, some form of injury will definitely bound to happen when it comes to dirt biking, just like other sports. Somehow, I find myself prone to bruises. During trails, sometimes I fall and my bike lands on me, or I knock into a tree, or maybe sometimes I'm just clumsy.

Up in the sky

Down on the slopes

At times, when I get too tired, I'd just park my bike at the side and lie down, look at the blue skies and catch my breath. When I'm done, I get back up and continue my fun.
Long and steep slopes can be intimidating. On dry seasons, it can be slippery too during hill climbs as there is not enough traction.

If I'm going down a slope from on top, sometimes I would hesitate because thoughts like "Omfg how am I going to do this?! What if I flip and fall? What if I skid all the way down the slope?"

The boys will be telling me to "Just go only! You can!"

After 5 minutes, if I still don't move, they'll be like "C'mon! Gear 1, use engine brake and roll down. You can!"

After 10 minutes, if I still don't move, they'll be "eh hurry up lah! Faster! Get your ass down now! If not we're leaving ah!"

After 15 minutes, if I still don't move, someone will climb up the slope and ask me "do you want me to ride the bike down for you?" Then! I'll go down. Hahaha but this has only happened like once or twice. Usually I try not to hesitate, just throttle and go.

I watch and learn when someone goes before me, then I do the same. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I fall. I'll just get back up, there will be fellow riders to help me too.


Bikes loaded
Occasionally, if my friends have their trailer or van, we'll load our bikes up instead of ride it into Malaysia so we could reserve our energy for the trail. Otherwise, I'd usually just ride in. We start off in the morning around 8:30am so the sun won't be too hot yet and try to finish the ride by noon.

Nusajaya
Usually when start to get really tired, I will tend to fall more because my reaction is slower and I lack the energy to be agile enough to dodge obstacles. When the weather is really hot, the amount of sweat dripping down from my head is so much that some of it collects on my eyelash and when I blink, the sweat goes in and it stings a little.

Waiting for the boys
Often, my girlfriend and I would ride at our own pace and we'll end up losing the boys, but only for a short while because it won't be long before they catch up with us. Yea, I know you are probably going "yeah right! Like real!" hahahaha

Still good, can ride
It's always important to know how to break a fall to avoid resulting in a potentially worse injury. However, sometimes things can happen too fast, giving me insufficient time to react. There above, I sprained my wrist pretty badly from taking a small mx jump. I sought a "tui na" master in Bedok (it's a traditional Chinese massage where the bone or vein is pushed back into position) to have it fix. And man... I tell you, it hurt like hell.

I sat down on a chair and had my hand rested on the table while the Master rubbed my wrist area before giving a a good push of the bone, back into position. My other hand was grasping my face as I kept saying "pain..pain..ouch PAINFUL!" in a very unsteady tone of voice, according to the pain level. My friend who accompanied me could hear me from outside and he couldn't stop laughing.

Riding as the sun sets
I usually do my off roads on weekends, which is when most of my friends are free too. Occasionally on weekdays when I just want to do some practice, I'd head to the flat track to touch up on my cornering and throttle controls. It's quite relaxing riding as the sun sets too.

Gears, waiting to be washed
Dirty boots
One of the most dreadful part after the fun is washing of gears. I mean, just look at the amount of mud stuck on and in between the boots.. zzz. Can anyone help a girl like me, pretty please?
-silence-

Xray
During one of my off road trail session, I high sided and my rib cage hit the handlebar of my bike before being flung forward. I could never forget the excruciating pain and not being able breathe at all for at least 5 - 8 seconds, which felt forever. I thought I was going to die or something. So scary >.< Thankfully, the pain eased off a little and I was able to breathe again.

Two days later, I decided to go to the hospital for a check as my ribs were still hurting a little and turned out,  I fractured the left side of it :( Doctor says there's nothing I can do about it other than let it heal on it's own. It's been more than a year since that accident, and sometimes I do still feel sharp pain in the injured area. Oh well! It'll heal, eventually :D

Another bike drowning moment hahaha
When my bike drowns in mud pools like these, I'd try to get it out. But if to no avail after 15 minutes of pulling, tugging, pushing while screaming (it can sound like I'm in labour or something hahaha), I'll just go sit by the side and start taking photos of my situation and hope someone will come to rescue me soon. Usually when the boys arrive at the scene, they'll laugh first before getting my bike out.

Me, on a KTM250EXC-F
Article featured in MotorCulture Magazine

The crew from Motor Culture magazine visited at one of the races where my girlfriend and I were interviewed for coming in 1st and 2nd place. They asked us what it was like and decided to do a little feature of the girls who took part in the race that day. One of them is a teacher! Too bad her subject isn't "Off-Road" hahaha.

Though I've recently sold my dirt bike Suzuki DR200 -sobs-, I'm looking to upgrade to a 250CC soon so I can continue my off road adventures! Stay tuned :)