Monday 4 May 2015

Sawadeeka! Let's Ride from Singapore - Thailand

Sawadeeka!

It was my first time riding from Singapore to Thailand straight up on my little black lamb, the Suzuki DR200SE.

I can already here some of you say,

"Wah, xiong"
"She's gonna reach there with no more butt"
"It's gonna be a longggg and slow ride"


Well, you're almost right if you said that!

Covering close to 1,000KM
Over 14 hours of riding non-stop
Across two borders (Malaysia, Thailand)

  
Day 1, 11:00PM - Singapore Woodlands Customs

Jam at Singapore Woodlands Customs Checkpoint

It was the eve of Public Holiday, Labour Day. EMBRACE THE JAM!!
I expected some traffic build up at the customs but, man, this is quite bad. I can't.. even.. see the end of it. But there's no turning back, literally. So let's just, roll through slowly.

Day 2, 6:05am
Dawn breaking
Setting off at 11:00PM, we rode through the night, from dusk till dawn. Cruising at an average speed of only 95km/h, the North South Highway was more monotonous than ever. When fatigue crept in, it was tough fighting the temptation of dozing off while riding.

Credits to gettyimages
I tried slapping my legs, hitting my helmet, pinching my arms, shake like I was dancing in the club, but to no avail. I STILL felt like dozing off. Uhh~

When I get off my bike at petrol stops for refuel, I'm fine. But the minute I get on and start cruising at that tortise speed, every fight-the-fatigue process repeats again. Ahh!

Taking a moment to watch dawn break

We passed Malacca, Kuala Lumpur, Penang, as we got closer to the end of Malaysia, and nearing the south of Thailand. As the sky started to lit up, so did my fatigue gradually fade away. Its like the "tired moment" has passed. It was so refreshingly beautiful just looking at the sun rise slowly, with its light touching everything around as we continued riding.


11:40am
One word - SHAG
Now the sun was starting to heat things up and my tiredness is back with a bang. I was doubly tired I could fall asleep while standing.

Credits to wikimedia

As we were nearing Sadao border, I got hit in the rear by a motorbike at the cross junction, sending me diving to the ground as my left leg got caught under the bike. Luckily for my gears, I got away with just a swollen knee cap and a bruise.


Ok, it's the biggest bruise I had in my life.



Wait a minute, doesn't it look like a shape of my route from Singapore to Hat Yai?
ITS A SIGN!! Ngawww! Hahaha Nothing is gonna stop meee from getting my ass across to Thailandddd!!! So, on we go :)


It is mandatory to purchase a 3rd party insurance before you can enter Thailand with your vehicle, costs around 18RM. Plenty of insurance companies around, we picked the first one where we met many other bikers there too.


12:36pm - Sadao Border


EMBRACE THE JAM AGAIN!

You can feel the holiday mood in the air and it was beyond packed here. Every sqm left of tarmac road was filled with vehicles, we had to go off road to bypass the vehicle and human traffic jam. It was quite epic.


Crossing borders can be tricky, especially to clear customs for both you and your vehicle at different counters. Every country's custom and immigration can be different, so it's important to know what paperwork you need to avoid getting into any trouble.

By right, we have to park our bikes at one corner, carry our belongings and queue in person for at least 4 hours due to the jam at the customs.

By left, we paid 70RM to have all customs and immigration process done in 5 minutes. LOL.


1:16pm - HELLO Hat Yai, Thailand
Hello Thailand!
Finally,  barely any feeling left on my ass, with my wrist looking stuck in throttle position even after getting off the bike, I'm finally in THAILAND! Yayyy. Shag like don't know what.



Kantana Apartments


Hat Yai was about 50KM from Sadao Border, where I explored for the next 2 days. With most of the hotels fully booked due to the holiday season, I'm thankful that we found Kantana Apartments.



This western-style motel was simple, clean, had powerful aircon (a must), and most importantly it was safe for both us and our bikes. It was a steal at only 500baht a night.

Now, it's time to hit the sack.


Day 3 - Exploring Hat Yai and Songkhla


Well rested, we rode around Hat Yai, near Lee Garden Plaza Hotel (that's where downtown is). Traffic here is quite erratic, with kup kias (small 125cc bikes) coming out in any and every direction. Yes, even against traffic direction so gotta be extra careful.


It was great being on my Suzuki DR200 because it was small and comfortable trotting around at slow speed in Thailand's traffic.

Sleeping Buddha
We rode onto Songkhla and stumbled upon this huge Sleeping Buddha! It was so rich in Gold with the moon quietly sitting behind the Buddha.



Despite the hot weather here, I'm glad my RS Taichi Drymaster Jacket from Hodaka Motoworld was really light and airy with slits for ventilation yet I know I won't have to worry when it rains because it's waterproof too! 


Riding alongside the sunset, on the Songkhla bridge.


Heading back towards Hat Yai. Indeed, Thailand is a Land of Smiles. The locals here were laid back and friendly. Little children sitting at the back of trucks waving in excitement when we pass them by just warms my heart, as I smile to myself.


No high rise buildings, no city noise, everything here is slow paced and peaceful.


There is no bad food in Thailand. Only good, delicious and heavenly dope street foods! Dig in.


I'm drooling already, as the stall owner giggles at my greedy pig face.What better way to have a full satisfying meal before heading back to the motel to rest.


Day 4 , 7:00am - Hat Yai to Singapore


As our little weekend holiday approaches the end, it's time to head back home.

GIVI Bags strapped on firmly - Checked
HJC Rpha Helmet on - Checked
RS Taichi Drymaster Gloves on - Checked
Semi-iron Ass - CHECKEDDDD!!

Ready, let's go!


This time, there was barely anyone at the customs and the procedure was a breeze. How different from what it was just 2 days ago!


And it all begins again, 12 hours of riding straight..

Credits to Ismail
Cruising at 95km/h.. back to Singapore!


Hat Yai, you've been short and sweet! I'll be coming back for ya in June and I can't wait!
Sawadeeka!