Sunday 24 May 2015

Mechanic Mania! Special Thanks to Unique Motorsports



So thankful to have Unique Motorsports supporting me on this! When they heard about my quest on riding solo to Tibet this June, they were surprised at the spontaneous idea and wondered how they could be of any help.

Some of the tools I will need

"What happens if your bike breaks down, like a tyre puncture?" they asked, full of concern.

"I'm gonna fix it! Yeah!" I said confidently with fire in my eyes.

"Oh wow, you know how to fix a punctured tyre?" seemingly impressed.

"No.. But I'm gonna learn how to." I giggled.

Let's get our hands dirty!

So, special thanks to Unique Motorsports, I get to be a mechanic for the week! At least, learn how to. Time to get my hands dirty and fiddle with tools like spanars, nuts instead of make up and brushes.


Honestly, learning about my dirt bike and how to change parts isn't the most exciting thing to me, but it's always best to know, in the event anything happens, I'm aware of what's going on.

With Chief Mechanic Ah Kee
Manager Alvin has assigned Chief Mechanic Ah Kee for me, exclusively for this training.
Congrats to him! For taking up the Challenge Of The Year. Hahaha!


Because we're going to learn how to change the following:

1) Hel Brake Line Black In Color
2) Renthal Cross Bar Mini Black
3) Revo Performance Fog Light
4) Zeta XC PRO ARMOR Hand Guard Black
5) JT Front 15T & Rear Sprocket 45T Black
6) DiD VXGB X Ring Chain Gold
7) Playlife Handle Grip
8) Koso Slim Volt Meter
9) Headlight Bulb
10) Front & Rear Wheels Bearing
11) Clutch Cable
12) Throttle Cable
13) Front Brake Disc

AND!!


14) Engine Top Set Gasket Kit (Consist of Gasket, Oil Seal, O Ring, Valve Seal)
15) Cam Chain
16) Tensioner
17) Tensioner Adjuster
18) Cam Chain Guide
19) Magneto Cover Plug
20) Front Countershaft Sprocket Washer & Bolt
21) Brake Shoe Set
22) DMV USB Power Kit
23) NGK Regular Plug
24)10W40 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil
25) Respray Cylinder Head, Cylinder Block, Clutch Cover & Magneto Cover
26) Rear Number Plate
27) Scott Oiler
28) Bike Vue In Built Front/Rear Camera 

Credits to deadspin
Are you.. IMPRESSED? >:)


Just kiddinggg :p

Those are the items that Unique Motorsports have so kindly supported my bike with!

Because for long touring rides, ensuring your bike is in its tip top condition is necessary. You don't want to be riding long distances with parts that are about to wear out soon especially if parts are already more than 3 - 4 years old. Getting your engine checked and changing things like brakes and chain can significantly reduce bike-related problems happening along the journey.


Of course! I'd never want a tyre puncture. Who would? But we can't deny the fact that it's one of the highest possible thing to happen because of the long distance I will be covering and on different kinds of roads.

Therefore, my main focus would be learning how to change my own tyres (inner tube).
Apart from that, I will also learn how to change the basics like:

Engine Oil
Clutch Cable
Brake/Clutch Lever
Spark Plugs
Gear Shifter Lever
Battery
Headlight

Slowly working on my tyres as Ah Kee subtly sinks into meditation mode
Let's start with the most tedious one which is the changing of tyres.
Ah Kee demonstrated it once to me, and it looked easy peasy. 

Remove the nuts, then the wheels, release the air from the tyres, pry open the tyre, pull out the inner tube, fit back the new inner tube, fold in the tyres, pump air back and screw it back up the bike.

Sounds easy too. Now let's see how I fared:


Credits to telegraph
Why can't I get the tyres out of the rim? Arghhh.
Mechanics make it look easy but it really isn't very. LET'S TRY AGAIN!

Day 2
Now I look like I'm scooping up some curry fish head.




You see Ah Kee face, going to cannot tahan already because I took super long to remove the tube and put it back hahaha.


I had to do this process multiple times to get it right and removing the rear tyre required more work because it involves the chain and swingarm and.. there's just so many more nuts.

Once I unscrew one nut, like so many other nuts drop out until I'm going nuts! LOL.

Stoning
After changing my tyres a few times, I needed to stone for a good 10 minutes before continuing on to learn the rest of the basics like the clutch and brakes which was luckily quite a breeze.


Thank you so much Ah Kee for your guidance and patience, I know it's not easy especially with a hammer right next to us. Thank you to Alvin for arranging the training schedules for me and most importantly, thank you Unique Motorsports for doing up my Suzuki DR200!! It feels brand new and my ride is much better!


Honestly Unique Motorsports @ Kaki Bukit has excellent customer service and I'm not saying this just because they so genuinely supported #BeyondEverest. You walk in and their staff immediately hands you a bottle of water to quench your thirst. They are attentive when listening to what your bike needs before assigning their skilled mechanics to fix up your bike.

What's best is they have 5 workshops islandwide so you'd definitely find one near you!
Check out all their locations HERE.

They really do go the extra mile.
Unique indeed :)


Unique Motorsports Pte Ltd (Kaki Bukit)
1 Kaki Bukit Ave
6 #02-54/55 Autobay @ Kaki Bukit
Singapore 417883

Tel: 6844 6378
Opening Hours: Monday - Saturday 10:00am - 8:00pm
Website: www.uniquemotorsports.com.sg