Sunday 19 April 2015

Liqui Moly : The Go-Kart Challenge


After last week's Dirt Bike Enduro Race, it's time to show some love for 4 wheelers too as we take on Liqui Moly's Exclusive Karting Challenge today!

Credits to skillministry
Clinching the title of the best oil in Germany while also specializing in automotive lubricants and additives, we have Liqui Moly proudly putting together an energetic and interactive karting event, held at Kartright Speedway.



With me and my Drift Ghost HD Action Camera fully charged, we are ready to get on the action at my very first go-kart session! I've never kart before so honestly, I was a bit nervous. What if I hit someone from the back and break his neck? What if I do a back flip after mounting the curb and the kart breaks into pieces? My imagination can run pretty wild.

It's a girl thing. I think.

As much as we love our two wheelers, it's always good to try something different once in a while!
We let our rides take a short break as we went for some fun on the rear-wheel drive karts!


The turn out was good, with the registration booth flooded with waves of go-kart enthusiasts since 9:00am.

In Singapore, for any automobile that travels more than 50km/h, you'll need to have a Class 3/3A driving license to operate it. Which means, sadly, those that forgot their driving license weren't allowed to kart.

All lined up
Our ears were open while the safety briefing was conducted but our distracted eyes were on the neatly lined up karts, all waiting for us to rock their asses and burn some rubberrrr. Vroom vroom!

Harold on Team Vaune
Many race participants were representing a team or a workshop. With a T-shirt made specially by Route 82, there you have it! With no surprise, my team is called TEAM VAUNE! LOL.

EdWIN, as his name suggests, to WIN for Team Vaune

Hehe out of my team of 5, I'm so proud to have two kart professionals, Harold & Edwin!

Getting ready
For each round, a group of 10 participants will fight it out for their best lap timing to qualify for the finals. Out of more than 50 participants, only the top 20 will be selected, before narrowing down to the final 10 where they vie for podium.

Wah.. machiam looking at what sia
Each time they completed their laps, they'd rush to the TV like a hot babe appearing on screen and they'll all be like..

(hahaha)



But nah, they're all just eager to find out their lap timings before getting into an excited discussion on whether they'd get into the finals.

Me, trying to look aggressive

A discussion that I was obviously not gonna be included. Lol.

With Chris
But its okay, I'm having so much fun anyway! Most importantly, I didn't collide with anyone on track nor did I do a back flip like I imagined, so yay! Thanks to all the useful pointers that were given by experienced go-karters, which they basically said "Just step on the accelerator all the way, no need to brake".

Hmm sounds familiar, just like when we ride, they always say "When in doubt, just throttle".


Well, sometimes accelerating all the way works for some, and sometimes it doesn't.

Harold for Team Vaune
"Follow my line" said the very helpful Harold. 

When he passed me by on the track, I thought "Oh yeah! Now's the time to follow his line and kart like a pro!"

I totally tailed him, for like 0.623 seconds (about 0.5 metre?) and poof, he disappeared.

The Top 10 vying for podium
After the qualifying laps, we had lunch and refreshments before the Top 10 finalists competed against each other; screeching tyres at the corners and tailing each other's asses under the sweltering heat.

Who will these belong to?
Edwin with Lars, Head of Liqui Moly Asia
After much anticipation, the results are out!
Congrats to Edwin for coming in as one of the Top 10 finalists!

Happy Harold
Congratulations to Harold for coming in 2nd Place overall, taking home not just a big trophy but also...


Tadadada! A picture with a stunning electric blue Lamborghini Murcielago! Oh how I wish we could drive it home.


Ah.. What a way to spend Sunday karting at the tracks!

Thank you Liqui Moly Asia for the exclusive invitation to a well-organized and interactive karting event challenge where every one had a piece of the fun with some adrenaline pumped. 

Now let's see who's body will be aching tomorrow :p