Tuesday 23 June 2015

Day 21 #B.E. Lhasa : Checking Out The Real Dalai Lama's Place


THIS, is where Dalai Lama lives! All these years, I've read about Dalai Lama from the news to the net, and I never imagined one day I'd actually visit where he lives! Literally!

This is so cool hahaha.


Ok this place was actually the residence of the Dalai Lama until the 14th Dalai Lama fled to India during some unrest in Tibet hence it's now a museum and a World Heritage Site.

It's called the Potala Palace and is considered as a very sacred and holy place by the locals here.
It is majestic, and.. there's so much stairs.

Tibetans with their prayer wheels
But it's no feat for Tibetans, young or old, who'd visit the Potala Palace every other day in the morning.

Some go there to offer their blessings and pray, many have what they call their own "Prayer Wheel" in hand as they walk in or around the palace.

Tibetans believe strongly in good karma by Buddhism religion, and it is believed that by continuously spinning the Prayer Wheel, it accumulates good karma and wisdom that would neutralize any bad karma.


And there are some women with children on their backs who would hang around the Potala Palace, approaching people for money, as I've noticed while queuing at the entrance.


The best time to visit the Potala Palace is in the morning. All visitors are only entitled up to just one hour in the palace, and no photography is allowed inside.

(Continues snapping away with my HTC Desire Eye phone...)


Time to climb those stairs!

Just like everybody else, both locals and foreigners like myself started to stream in once the Potala Palace gates were opened, climbing each step of stairs, one by one.

Many Tibetan women were in their tradition clothes, and those wearing a layer of colorful horizontal striped skirt in front actually represents that they are married, as explained by my local guide.



Ok I need a break after every two flight of stairs man. Plus the air here is thinner so I get breathless more easily..... Ok maybe I just don't exercise enough. Heh.


13 storeys high, containing 1,000 rooms, the Potala Palace took 45 years to build with walls that are up to 5 metres thick and has copper poured into its foundation to withstand all these years of Earthquakes.

It sure looks hardy!

Where Dalai Lama would meet his other disciples
Photography isn't allowed in here but with my sneaky HTC Re Camera, I managed to snap some shots to show you guys what's it like inside the Potala Palace and see how Tibet's history is so richly reflected on it's architecture and furnishings.


The locals paying their respects and offerings to the previous Dalai Lamas for good karma.

A small shop carrying religious scriptures etc
Because I had my local guide with me, I managed to gain some insights on the history of the Potala Palace as we went along through different areas from 8 - 12th storey. The others floors are restricted areas.

Every color and design used on walls, doors and windows all represents something

I'd recommend you get a guide too if you visit this place so at least you know what you're looking at, have a deeper understanding and know the story behind these walls.


Ended the Potala Palace tour with praying for a smooth journey for #BeyondEverest and some good karma too! Hehe.


In Singapore, we have modern-day Taxis.
In Thailand, we have three-wheeled improvised motorcycles Taxis called Tuk Tuks.

Here in Tibet, we have Tibetan-styled tricycles decorated with colorful fabrics and ringing bells all over. You tell them your destination and agree on a price before taking a ride.

My guide chose the cutest cyclist for me and brought me for a joy ride haha.


We took a ride to a local home stay. Under Tibet law, foreigners are not allowed to stay here as the government has designated hotels for us to stay in. I love home stays, but this time I can only visit to see what it's like.


Well, what do you know?

This local home stay is motorcycle-themed! Owned by a local young couple who loves motorcycling too! They do occasional touring rides around China themselves but due to work, they can't go for too long trips therefore they decided to open a home stay for visitors especially those who has a passion for two wheelers!

From petrol tanks, to wheels, fairings and handlebars of old motorcycles, none of the parts goes to waste as they are creatively decorated around the whole place!

Shweeet!


Took a slow walk through the narrow streets, observing Tibetan life from their little eateries serving home-cooked food to a small sewing shop and an old school bookstore, there's just so much to absorb in this environment as I took my time before heading back to the hotel to rest.



With the beautiful images of Lhasa and all that I've seen today locked in my mind, I know I'm going to dream of wonderful things and have a really good sleep tonight ;)




[Singapore.Malaysia.Thailand.Laos.China.Tibet]
[Mileage Clocked: 6,390KM]
[Weather/Temperature: Clear/17°C]
[Altitude: 3,650m]
[Terrain: Tarmac]

Next: Shigatse, Tibet