Thursday 11 June 2015

Day 9 #B.E. Laos - China : Can't Believe I've rode Into China!


I've heard many friends tell me their adventure rides to China from Singapore and I always go "Wow.. China.. isn't that far?" I've always wished to ride there one day and wondered what it's like.

Well, we're about to find out real soon!

You know you're sleep deprived when your eyebags are visible even with eyes closed. Gawww!
Every morning before moving off, I've to wipe off all the different insects who killed themselves on my visor, together with all that dirt if not by the end of my trip, I don't think I'd be able to see anything through the visor.

Crossing Boten Border (Laos) to China
China is really strict, especially when it comes to a foreign vehicle entering their country. Crossing two borders in two consecutive days, I can’t say I’m not worried again!

But I told myself to take a chill pill, and remember two things: Passport stamped and Vehicle clearance.



There are tons of huge trailers I have to squeeze in between and pass by while crossing from Laos to China. Many of these vehicles carry goods and what not, they transport to/fro China/Thailand via Laos. It's really dangerous because these trailers don't care or some don't see little bikers like me. I've got to be really careful, sometimes I sound my horn just to let them know I'm there.



After getting past all those heavy duty vehicles, one photo for Boten (Laos) Border! ;p

Ok, when you're unsure about anything, just ask.

I had no idea what to do but I remember I have to return a stamped form for my vehicle to confirm my bike leaves Laos. So I asked around and I found the office where I handed my vehicle custom clearance form to the officer. Ok, bike done.

Immigration office for Boten (Laos) Border, and the gold scooter in front just made the whole picture MORE GOLD!
Now, every border crossing is different where sometimes the Customs & Immigration offices aren't together at the same place.

Sometimes they're a few km apart, like Boten (Laos) Border. There wasn't any clear sign that points to the direction of the Immigration office, so I asked a local and found the way where I had my passport stamped and headed for Mohan (China) Border.


I was still a little lost, but just followed the sign that points to Mohan Border and before I knew it, I was looking right at it.

NI HAO! WELCOME TO CHINA!

So THIS is how it feels like to ride from Singapore to China! Hahaha feels not bad at all!


Now, all foreign vehicles entering into China is legally binded by the law to have a local guide at all times when you’re in the country. Unlike Malaysia or Thailand where we can roam around freely on our machines.

My local guide was waiting for me at Mohan border where he assisted me in the paper works for Customs & Immigration. I guess with both Boten (Laos) and Mohan (China) borders being quiet, it really helped and crossing over was really smooth.


First, fill in the China immigration card and get passport stamped.
Second, present the Information of Conveyance letter for your vehicle.
Third, have your vehicle log card ready for inspection where they will verify the chassis number.

Cleared, and we’re good to go!


Still can’t believe I’ve made it to China so far and I’m totally thrilled at the reality.
I’m thankful I made it on time despite little setbacks like my bike breaking down and causing some delay.

Too late to brush up my Mandarin but who caresss whahahah I’m in China!

Where I got my Chinese Driving License done


Next, we head to Mengla to have my Chinese Driving License done. This is mandatory and must be with me at all times, in case there are road blocks or police checks, my Chinese driving license and passport must be presented to prevent any trouble.


Had my first meal in Mengla, before we headed to Jing Hong, 150KM away.

Through the mountain ranges, the weather changed drastically as we entered into a storm. Described as a really strong rainfall and winds, even the local guide was contemplating to pull over because visibility was poor, seeing nothing beyond a couple of metres.


With such a heavy downpour, you’d be drenched if you stopped by the side to don on your raincoat if your touring gears ain’t waterproof.  I’m glad this is where my RS Taichi Drymaster is put to the test.
It passed! No wet underwear too! YAY.

Except for the gloves whereby somehow, water managed to sip in and dampened it. Maybe because when I took my hands out to snap photos, my hands got a little wet and I brought some water in when I wore it back luh.


The mountain tunnels here were long and PITCH DARK, literally. Without my headlight, I would not even be able to see my own hand. There were no lights at all. Thankfully I have my powderful fog lights which shone like a glowing diamond.
Had my signal lights on too just for better visibility to other road users.


Roads on the way to Jing Hong were not so good, with many deep pot holes. That’s why it’s good to be on an adventure bike. If it was a sports bike going through such terrains, you will arrive at your destination with no more wheels.


Animals and I share the roads now.
I've to keep a look out for them, careful not to hit them and each one of them cost easily 5,000RMB! 

Stayed one night at Jing Hong, a city popular among tourists, before heading to Shuang Jiang tomorrow.

Mileage 76,626 so far



[Singapore.Malaysia.Thailand.Laos.China]
[Mileage Clocked: 3,830KM]
[Weather/Temperature: Heavy Rains/24°C]
[Terrain: Road/Tarmac]

Next stop: Shuang Jiang