Monday 22 June 2015

Day 20 #B.E. Ba Yi - Lhasa : Ascending To 5,013m Altitude and Into Lhasa, The Capital of Tibet


Wake up and smell the flowers!
Wake up and smell the flowers!

Yellow cole flowers
Doesn't it feel refreshing waking up to a strong, sweet fragrance produced by acres and acres of cole flowers? 

They look so fluffy whether it's from a distance or close up, it makes me feel like wanting to just jump into the bed of cole flowers (and expect it to not hurt). In fact, I'd wanna jump in together with my bike!


What's better still is riding alongside these cheerful-looking flowers as I slowly make my way into Lhasa, the Capital of Tibet today.

Credits to tibetadvisor
With an average elevation of 4,900 metres (16,000ft) in altitude, Tibet Autonomous Region is indeed the highest region on Earth in Asia and is often regarded as "The Roof of The World". 

And Lhasa is the capital.

Just chilling by the river, look how green the water is.
Getting to Tibet by plane is the fastest and most comfortable way. But this also means it offers very little time for you to acclimatize to the high altitude, which may result in experiencing high altitude sickness.

Train would take a longer time but the route is scenic and this option has been gaining popularity among travelers, though it can be a little more pricey.


For me, riding my motorcycle is the best option! It takes me anywhere, lets me acclimatize gradually and experience nature so much closer!


See, like this! ;)

Rode to an altitude of 5,013m today on Mi La Mountain
Due to its unique geographic location, some places in Tibet are not easily accessible but I'm confident with my hardy Suzuki DR200 which has brought me all the way here! HEHEHE.


Lhasa actually means "Holy Land" in Tibet and with more than 1,000 years of cultural history retained till today, clearly reflected in the people, the environment, the language and religion, it's no wonder why this place is considered exotic by many.


Weather was pretty good today with sunshine and blue skies. It even got a little hot during noon time, had to open up all the vents on my RS Taichi Drymaster jacket and pants.

Still on National Highway G318
Even when it was cooling, the UV rays here in Tibet are much stronger due to being on higher grounds therefore don't be fooled by the chilly weather! Sunscreen with SPF500+++ everyday is a MUST.


Did about 350KM today before arriving at a major police check point where everyone is thoroughly screened and documents all properly checked before entering Lhasa was allowed.

Strictly no photography was allowed here so didn't manage to take photos of the check point.


There was 20KM worth of off road to cross to enter into Lhasa city as road works was going on.
It was extremely dusty to the point the dirt and all were hurting my eyes, and it also reduced visibility on the two-way traffic route.

Sometimes I don't see anything in front of me, and the next thing I know I see this huge truck coming in my way.

Lost my guide halfway as I was moving faster on my bike and the sky looked threatening, with clouds hovering over my head fast and thunder could be heard. 

Met a nice local young couple on their little fino scooter who took me to a small tea house in Lhasa city to take shelter where my guide later found me at.

Hello GS-es!
The minute I turned into my hotel, I was greeted my a fleet of rugged-looking BMW GS1200! Clearly, they've all been through some rough places.


Can't wait to find out who this group of adventurer tourers are when I wake up in the morning!


For now, let's just wind down the day with some Lhasa beer.





[Singapore.Malaysia.Thailand.Laos.China.Tibet]
[Mileage Clocked: 6,390KM]
[Weather/Temperature: Sunny/19°C]
[Altitude: 5,018m]
[Terrain: Mountain Roads/Tarmac]

Next: Lhasa +1