Wednesday 17 June 2015

Day 15 #B.E. Shangri La - Yan Jing : Hello TIBET, I've Climbed Up To 4,292m Altitude For You



Things are gradually changing as I make my way slowly into Tibet Autonomous region today. From the scenery, to the people, the culture, language and to how things are being ruled here. 
Credits to tibettravelplanner
 Tibet maintained its autonomy until 1951 where they lost a battle in Chamdo and eventually was incorporated into the People's Republic of China. But even though so, Tibet significantly differentiates itself from mainland China which we'll see as I move in closer.
Checking out of the guesthouse in Shangri La, notice the design is more Tibetan
Had a simple breakfast after checking out of the guesthouse and left Shangri La towards Deqin.



This is daunting
Was greeted with daunting mountain roads just by the cliff with small loose rocks lying around. This is a two way road and I was shaking a little while taking this photo.


Felt much better to be back on tarmac roads as I arrived into Deqin county, which sits on the border of the Tibet Autonomous region. Located in the centre of the Hengduan mountains, containing the Mekong and JingSha (Golden Sand) rivers, I've climbed to an altitude of 3,300m here.


In Deqin, you can find the first bend of the Yangtze River (Lan Cang Jiang), which is the longest river in Asia, and the 3rd longest one in the world.


I continued to climb up the mountain until the Jingsha Scenic Lookout point.

Credits to alamy
This is how the first bend of the Jingsha River looks. Somewhat reminds me of the Horseshoe bend in the Grand Canyons when I was there last July, which was breathtaking.

The Horseshoe Bend, Colorado River at the Grand Canyons, Credits to flickr
It's an incredible feeling after climbing so high on top of the mountains and looking down at the beautiful things Nature has created.


In mountainous roads with windy, sharp bends interrupted with sections of rocky areas, my average speed was only around 50kmh. This significantly increases my daily riding time.


And wow, look at at all the roads. I can't put my finger to how many corners and bends I see here, they're EVERYWHERE and I'm gonna ride through it all! *Painful laughs*

I'm puss in boots and this is ma donkey!

Meanwhile as I was going downhill, I stumbled upon some donkeys who seem to attempting suicide by standing in the middle of the road, motionless. Cars honk, drivers shout, but no fcks given by these donkeys. They won't move an inch. So, I got off my bike and took a selfie with the cutest one!

Backdrop: Baima Snow Mountain
Ok moving on, I finally see my first snow mountain! So delighted I rode pass it like this more than 10 times hahaha. Other tourists around was wondering what I was doing, some of them captured me in their photos.


Weather plays a big part in sightseeing because if it’s rainy or cloudy, nothing can be seen.


It was cloudy earlier on but it cleared up quite a bit when I arrived so I managed to see Baima Snow Mountain.


The road on led to the other side of Baima (White Horse) Snow Mountain as clouds started to draw in. That's the thing about clouds in the mountains, they tend to be notorious and can come and go anytime because the air fluctuation varies quite a bit.


As you can see the roads are a bit damp as light passing showers are very common here.

I started to see colorful flags and remember seeing them in pictures when I was researching on Everest Base Camp. It's like a picture I saw on the Internet coming to life to me now!

COLORFUL FLAGS = EXCITEMENT TO ME :D

At the highest point of 4,292m altitude today

If you realize, these flags, called the Prayer Flags, always have 5 different colors, and they each symbolizes 5 different elements which the people strongly believe in (linked to Tibetan Buddhism):

Red - Fire
Blue - Sky
Yellow -Earth
Green - Water
White - Air

They are often strung along mountain ridges and high peaks in the Himalayas. The Tibetans believe health and harmony is produced from these 5 elements.


I didn't realize I was gradually ascending in altitude as I was too distracted by the increasing amount of colorful prayer flags surrounding me. Until I reached a point where they're like EVERYWHERE, and I saw four blocks with numbers, stacked up high.

Curious, I asked a local visitor what does it mean. She said excitedly, "You're at an altitude of 4,292 metres now!"

Credits to skydive.nz.co

4,292 metres in altitude! That's more than 14,000ft high!! 
Which is the height people go skydiving at!! WOAH MAN.


I was astounded. Everest Base Camp was 5,200m. Just another 1,000m more to go! Or so I thought. But it doesn’t work that way when it comes to acclimatizing to high altitude.  You ascend first, then you descend and stay for a night. Then the next day, you ascend higher and descend again.

Even with such arrangements, some people still experience severe altitude sickness so it really depends on the condition of every individual.

Hong Jing Tian, herbs in a pill form that helps produces more red blood cells which is said to aid in altitude sickness
Prior to my trip, I was advised by a friend to take this herb called Hong Jing Tian. Apparently it helps the body reproduces more red blood cells to help in places that have lower oxygen density so you have a lower chance of getting altitude sickness. It can be purchased from any Chinese Medicine Hall in Chinatown.

As advised by my guide, 80% of the people experience mild reactions of high altitude, such as headaches, nauseous, diarrhea, and maybe slightly tighter breathing in the chest area.  Severe ones would have difficulty breathing, vomiting and extreme giddiness.

I have not experience any of it at this point which is absolutely great.
Looks like Hong Jing Tian works haha.

Seeing reddd
Took almost like a hundred photos at the 4,292m altitude spot and started my descend. Alpine terrains started to change as I headed into Yan Jing, meaning Salt Lake.  

This is also where I officially enter into the Tibet Autonomous region!


But whatever the terrain, from tarmacs to off road gravel and loose rocks, my Pirelli Scorpion MT90/AT has been receiving positive feedbacks so far! A lot of grip and it has not once lose traction even when it was really dry which can be slippery.

HELLO TIBET!
Experienced my first thorough road block check upon entering Yan Jing, Tibet. No photos were allowed to be taken and with four police officers around me, I didn't want to take the risk haha even with my sneaky little HTC Re Camera. My local Tibetan guide presented all the necessary documents for me to pass through smoothly.

There will be more road blocks police checks from today onwards, and Tibet is strict with foreigners with their own vehicles entering and I cannot be seen without my guide especially at these check points otherwise I'd get into trouble.

Sat by the cliff overlooking Tibet Salt River
Yan Jing is an ancient town in the Mang Kang county with about 1,300 years of history for its natural salt production with a whopping 3,000 salt fields today.

No wonder food here tend to be a little saltier? Lol.

Mileage so far before reaching the hotel

It was dark by now, checked into the hotel at 9:30PM. Yan Jing was a really small place with nothing much. Hotels had no WIFI, and no elevators so to access my room on the 4th level, I had to climb the stairs with all my baggage. Gawwdd. 

Had a simple quick dinner at a small local eatery before heading back to sleep.
Did almost 12 hours of riding today, knocked out in minutes.







[Singapore.Malaysia.Thailand.Laos.China.Tibet]
[Mileage Clocked: 5,170KM]
[Weather/Temperature: Cloudy/17°C]
[Altitude: 4,292m]
[Terrain: Mountain Roads/Tarmac/Gravel/Windy Corners]

Next: Zuo Gong, Tibet