Friday 11 December 2015

Day 11 #MHS. Bangkok - Nakhon Si Thammarat - Hat Yai - Ipoh Malaysia : That Near-Miss


Thailand never fails to impress, even at the very last leg of my journey. 


 After 13 hours on the train, we arrived at Nakhon Si Thammarat.


However, due to an existing train in Lane 1 (the one right next to the platform), our train had to park in Lane 2 first (the middle train track). 

Passengers alighted and so did we, right onto the rocky train tracks, then cutting through the train on Lane 1 to get to the station's platform. 


But hang on for a minute. How are our bikes gonna get down like that?

So we checked it out with the train staffs, with hand gestures (as they couldn't speak English), we were told a waiting time of 2 hours before being our train is able to move to Lane 1. Then only can they unload our bikes onto the station platform as currently the height from train to ground level is too high.

This caused a delay in our planned schedule for the day, but it's not like we had any choice.


So we said ok, but due to language barrier, this happened instead:

Using hand signals and simple English, I smiled and told them "We'll wait, but when you unload our bikes, please be careful as they're like our precious babies". 


They only understood the word "baby". So they all thought I had to rush back to Singapore to look after my baby (like a toddler)(I'm not a mom yet FYI). 

And they all went like "Baby!" while nodding their head in understanding. 


So, they all gathered together and my bike was unloaded RIGHT AWAY. 


I was like "Oh my god. What are they doing??" 

I tried tell them no need but they were too engrossed in helping me get my bike down. I couldn't stop them. 




Next thing I saw, my bike took its leap of faith. 

The front wheel has touched the ground, while the rear is still in the train, and the middle under section was.. oh my goodness.. missing the train's platform by barely an inch! It really almost hit! 

Gosh, I was so worried and everyone was just raising their voices, asking to support the bike here and there.

 Then came the rear wheel and together with everyone's effort, my bike has made it safely.. 


onto the middle of the train tracks.....




"So now how?" I asked worriedly. 

How to push my bike through all these rocky stones and onto the station platform? No ramp no nothing leh! Wa biang.. Hmm..


Then the Thai people were like "Okay okay"!

How to okay? 


 Ok looks like this is how we're gonna do it, Thai style.



They pushed my bike down the train track, then we found some random wooden plank and together, we pushed my baby up, onto the station platform.


PHEWWW!! 
Thank god my precious darling is fine on proper grounds now. 


Next, the train staffs looked at the CBR600RR and straightaway, my partner told them "No no no, my bike ain't gonna clear the train's platform. We'll just wait".

Kanchiong spider. Hahaha.


This is why I love Thai people. Even when they don't understand you, they'd try their best to help you. 


We walked to the street stalls opposite to have some lunch before heading back to the train station where the CBR600RR was unloaded safely and ready to go.


Rode about 200KM towards Songkhla then onto Hat Yai.





This time, we crossed over to Malaysia via Padang Besar border instead of the busy Sadao border. There's practically no one here. 

It's time to navigate our way to Ipoh with my waterproof Tom Tom GPS, to catch up on some rest for the night. 


Time check, it's 6:30PM and we're officially in Malaysia! Just one border away from home :) 
The roads are wet because a storm has just passed and the calm following right after is just simply beautiful. 




This long stretch of road after Padang Besar border to North South Highway offers an incredibly stunning view especially when the skies are playing nice. 

Try this route out the next time you cross over to Thailand!




[Singapore.Malaysia.Hat Yai.Bangkok.Lopburi.Chiang Mai.Pai.Mae Hong Son.Mae Sariang.Kamphaeng Phet.Bangkok.Nakhon Si Thammarat.Hat Yai.Malaysia]
[Mileage Clocked: 3,802KM]
[Weather/Temperature: Sunny/30°C]
[Terrain: Tarmac]

Next: Singapore