Friday 18 November 2016

Day 8 #SG-Cambodia: Siem Reap (Cambodia) > Bangkok (Thailand) > Hat Yai - Back For The Train Ride


Sometimes traveling at this fast of a pace (not in terms of speed but no. of days spent at a place), zipping through from one country to another can feel a little like teleporting haha especially when all this is over, and I look back to relive what just happened.


With a heavy heart, I bid farewell to Cambodia as today is my last day here.

My strong baby here has seriously did an incredible job throughout my journey so far, not failing me once despite me clearly depriving it of any TLC here. It's gonna get the spa session it deserves when we get back!


Meantime, I'll be covering over 1,400km riding from Sieam Reap to Bangkok today, including hopping on an overnight train from Bangkok to Hat Yai!


I reallyyyyyy hope to catch the train this time round because damn, I wouldn't wanna do what I had to do on Day 1 & 2 of my journey ever again hahaha. Way too exhausting!

Don't I look just wide awake? Hahaha
Got my baggage loaded, and off we go, diligently pushing off at about 7:45am in the morning.


Now when I first entered Cambodia, it was via Koh Kong Border. But since I'm not really a fan of repeating routes, this time, I'll be exiting Cambodia and entering Thailand via Poipet Border instead!


Poipet is just 150km away from Siem Reap, and the ride has been cooling so far. Apart from taking in as much of what's remaining left of my ride in Cambodia, the custom procedures kept repeating in my head.

Was I nervous about crossing the border?


You bet I was.

Why?


Because no one I know have crossed Poipet border before, not even my friends in Cambodia. Plus I was alone, and language might be a barrier in case anything happens, so I was really praying everything would go through as smoothly as it could.


So, the first step was to locate the Immigration Checkpoint, which I'm glad I managed to find haha.
The night before, I googled the image of how it looks like and just matched it with what I see now.

It wasn't that difficult to find, just have go slowly and look out for it.


Poipet is a very busy border, with heavy human traffic and vehicles all around.
Many seems to be importing/exporting goods via this border.


Upon arriving at the Departure Hall of Poipet Border at Cambodia side, I joined the queue and got my passport stamped.


And that's it! Easy peasy for exiting Cambodia!


And next, is getting back into Thailand!

The motorcycle lane is on the left, and all other four wheelers are on the right. This is where I got a little lost because I didn't know where I could get the white custom form for my vehicle. Without it, my bike will not be allowed to enter Thailand.


Smiling a lot and asking the locals nicely where I could go to get the form using sign languages got me directed to the Immigration Office.


And when the officers there learnt that I was traveling alone, they were kind enough to assist me in getting the form and filling it up for me before I went on to get my passport stamped :)

Love the hospitality of the Thai people.


Next, I proceeded to the Customs office to get clearance for my motorcycle. The officers there were all smiles too, and so welcoming!


With everything in place, it's time to make my way back to Bangkok!


Hello Thailand again!


I think it's almost 40 deg now, not kidding at all. I'm sweating bucketssss on the inside!
It's so so important to keep hydrating riding in such heat.


Pressed through about 150km of intense heat waves over two hours+ and here we are, at Bangkok Railway Station! Back for the train ride!


The time now is 2:00pm, and I went straight to purchase my ticket. The price for a bed in the 2nd class overnight train, is 905 baht/pax. The ticket price for bikes goes according to the capacity of it. For my 800cc Ducati Hypermotard, cost is about 1,360 baht.


Thank goodness, there's a slot for my baby and I this time round and we're gonna be catching some rest on the 15 hour train ride from Bangkok to Hat Yai!


Up goes my darling, man-carried by just four guys, onto the cargo's high platform. This is not the first time my bike has been on Thailand's train rides but ah I'm always so anxious and worried whenever I watch the loading/unloading of my precious.


Upon seeing my baby nicely tucked in a corner, firmly secured by strings,


I made my own way up the train too, into the passenger cabin.


Got to my seat, sat back, and can't believe I was just in Siem Reap this morning. Haha this is what I mean when it feels a bit like teleporting from one place to another.


We have one last leg to complete tomorrow, that is to ride 1,000km straight from Hat Yai, Thailand, through the whole of Malaysia, and all the way back home to Singapore.


But for now, I'm gonna take that well-deserved cold shower,


and rest for the night before the long ride back home tomorrow!






[Singapore. Malaysia. Thailand.Sihanoukville, Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, ANGKOR WAT, Cambodia. Bangkok, Thailand]
[Mileage Clocked: 3,828KM]
[Weather/Temperature: Scorching Hot/38.5°C]
[Terrain: Road/Tarmac]

Next stop: SINGAPORE