Friday 11 November 2016

Day 1 #SG-Cambodia: Singapore > Malaysia > Hat Yai (Thailand) - Cutting Through North-South Highway



With barely two hours of sleep, I find myself gearing up and strapping down my 40L GIVI duffel bag onto my Ducati Hypermotard for the 1,000km that I’m going to clock today on North-South Highway.


Yes, it’s gonna be a really long ride as we're cutting through the whole Malaysia and hitting Southern Thailand straight.



Moved off and 04:30 and started the ride before dawn broke, with certain parts of the highway experiencing some heavy morning mist, which gradually evaporated away when the sun came up.




It’s so much better riding in the early mornings because that’s when the weather is really cooling, even to the point of it being a bit too cold as we cruised at an average of 150kmh.



To save time, we only stopped at every 200km just to refuel, hydrate and toilet breaks, with each stop at:

1) Pagoh
2) Seremban
3) Simpang Pulai
4) Bukit Ayer Hitam


Notice how clean my bike looks.. because on Day 2, everything changes

I’m thankful that my Ducati Hypermotard with a full tank of about 11L could give me mileage of up to 250km including reserve. It’s fuel consumption is really efficient!


The first half of the leg felt OK. 


Into the 3rd quarter of the journey, I started to feel fatigue drifting in. By the time I saw the signboard to “Aloe Setar”, my right palm was already losing grip on my throttle.

Why was my bike going slower despite me gripping the throttle as tight?

I was tired. That’s why.

The inner muscle at the side of both my thumbs and index fingers were already beginning to feel sore.



Finally, after seeing the sign “Aloe Setar” more than a thousand times, we stopped by Siam City Insurance (on the way to Sadao Border before Malaysia's checkpoint) and with our motorcycle's log card, we purchase our insurance to enter Thailand. 


Cost for 30 day insurance in Thailand was RM36.
This insurance is mandatory if not your vehicle wouldn’t be able to pass through the Customs.


Arrived at Thailand Sadao Border with moderate amount of people queuing up to get their passport stamped.


2 copies of the Vehicle Conveyance Forms must be filled up and handed to the Custom Officer and that form must be returned when you exit Thailand.


After 9 hours of non-stop riding for almost 1,000km from the door step of my house, through Malaysia's North South Highway, my red baby and I are finally in Thailand! Sawadeeka! 


Another 50km from Sadao Border and we find ourselves arriving safely at Hat Yai Railway Station! Hurried to the counter to get our tickets for passenger and our bikes from Hat Yai - Bangkok and was looking forward to catch up on some rest during the overnight train ride.


The thing about Thailand Railway system for their Cargo cabin is its availability is subjected to the day itself, on whether the cargo is full or not. You cannot book a slot in advanced. 


To our slight dismay, the cargo was full and the next available slot was tomorrow. This would affect our entry date into Cambodia and meeting up with my friends from Cambodia if we allowed the delay. 

Hence, I grit my teeth, decided to accept my fate LOL and braced myself for tomorrow's next 1,000km long ride from Hat Yai to Bangkok just so to be on schedule.



Trips don't always go as per planned ya? That's why it's called an adventure.. Hahaha.
I told myself, Ok.. don't think so much about it. 

Just sit back.. relax.. chill, and enjoy an ice cold thirst-quenching Chai Yen (Thai Iced Tea).


Followed by dinner, our first meal of the day (which was also our last meal of the day haha), before checking into a nearby motel and rest for the day. 

Gawd I'm going to be sleep-deprived again having to wake up at 4:30am tomorrow for the long ride....... 






[Singapore.Malaysia.Hat Yai,Thailand.]
[Mileage Clocked: 1,005KM]
[Weather/Temperature: Sunny/34°C]
[Terrain: Road/Tarmac]

Next stop: Bangkok, Thailand