Tuesday 24 February 2015

Gone Fishing!

Credits to roatanguide.
Yeah, that's MY idea of fishing when someone talks to me about it. Well.. it's an unrealistic expectation especially for a super newbie like me who have never touched a rod before.

Sunrise
So, since I was in Thailand for the Ducati Scrambler launch, I decided to extend my trip and crash my friends' holiday party. One of them is crazy about fishing, so here we are (Kanchanaburi), dragging our asses out early, to FISH.

I was actually quite excited because I'm not sure what I will catch.

Step 1: Take a WEFIE
With some late night partying and drinks the night before, check out our faces: We are SO awake.

The last thing you want is to see someone tipping over the boat, falling into the water while fishing because he/she is still having a hangover.

Oh wait, that would be the first thing I'd wanna see >:)

The Boss
We got on our lil cute sampan (boat) and sailed out into the fresh water lake. You wouldn't feel very safe in the boat if you were onboard with us (3 girls, 1 fishing for the first time). The possibility of someone falling over is potentially THERE.

Gears ready
The Boss was a kind man so he prepared our gears and whatever we needed the night beforehand so none of us can say "we are too tired/hungover/piggish, can we postpone this".

My bait!
There are mainly two kinds of baits: Artificial (plastic) and Natural (worms).
The fisher chooses its bait by the kind of fish he wants to catch, according to its habitat.

For us, there was this whole box of artificial colorful baits, with different kinds of fish-like/frog-like faces. I got green froggie.


"Watch your hook, please"

This was probably said to me many times as the minute I got my hands on the rod, hooks were seen flying in every direction. Suddenly, from a fishing game, it became DODGING game!

At one point, my girlfriend felt something tugging her top while I was facing the opposite direction, looking out in the vast open waters, asking

"hey, where is my bait? It's stuck somewhere but I can't see it"

Literally.
A few seconds later, she screamed.

Each time I swung my bait into the water, the whole sampan rocked dangerously and everyone would scramble to find their footing.  


And they'd scream.

After an hour out in the still waters, I was reeling in for the hundredth time until somehow, my whole reel detatched itself and flew into the water. I have no idea how it happened. Thankfully for our boatman, he saved it with his net and scooped it back up. 


 And the boss screamed.


My very own first catch - A Hampala Barb
Finally, I felt something tugging my line and it just sent me into a jumping excitement mode!

"Something is pulling! GOT FISH GOT FISH!!"

Yay! My very first catch :D
It's not huge, definitely not what I had imagined it to be, but decent for it's breed (Hampala Barb/Sebarau).

Ingrid's.
And, my girlfriend's catch.
Ok, I'm going to crawl into some hole and hide myself.....


Definitely looking forward to my next fishing trip with great company ;)