Tuesday 13 January 2015

Save Not One, But Many Lives. Be A Blood Donor - Red Cross Singapore


For quite a number of months now, I've been thinking of donating blood but never really got down to doing it because damn, did you see the size of the needle?

Credits to mraihana
 IT'S DAMN BIG!

It's so intimidating and quite scary. You see this thing (needle) poking into your veins and your blood streams out just like that, into a packet. Sounds painful already. Besides, I was never a fan of needles. 
Uh~!



So one day, I decided to switch my brain off and let my hands, legs and horse (my Ducati of course) take me to Red Cross Singapore at HSA building.


Note, not everyone can be a blood donor. Some want to donate but due to certain health reasons and requirements, they can't. For example;

*Pregnant women - They need all the blood they have for themselves and the baby
*45KG and below - Not comforting at all that I weigh above this, but whatever
*STD (Sexual Transmitted Disease) - This can be passed onto another patient by blood
*Too low blood pressure/iron/haemoglobin

Etc etc....

Filling in the registration form & questionaire
After mastering enough courage (yeah I can be a scaredy cat) and bringing myself down to Red Cross, wouldn't it be disappointing if end up I not making the cut for donating blood?

Let's see if I do!

  
Step 1: Measure Blood Pressure

Okay, so the doctor strapped the inflatable air cuff thingy (it's called sphygmomanometer, bet you didn't know right lol) around my arm that gives a real tight squeeze to measure my blood pressure.

First measure: Fail.
Second measure: Fail.
Third measure: Fail.

Wait wait, before you think I'm that weak ah, my blood pressure was fine. Just that Iron level abit too low. Maybe because I haven't had breakfast or anything to eat or drink. So I grabbed a light bite and water before seeing the doctor again.

Fourth measure: Pass.

Allllrighttt! I barely made the cut.

  
Step 2: Haemoglobin Test

YEP! My middle finger gets pricked! I'd take it as a little punishment for giving it out on the roads when necessary sometimes hahaha.

People with too low or too high haemoglobin (red blood cells) would not be able to donate blood.

Results: Pass.

  
Step 3: Finding The Veins

This is the final step before you see your blood getting drained out like a spoilt tap!
Ok I might be exaggerating a little, but yeah, you get the idea.

A stress ball is placed in both my left and right palm and I've to squeeze it hard to make my little veins visible.

Ok apparently my veins are too tiny that it can't been seen.

After trying to locate my vein, the nurses weren't able to and advised that perhaps I come back in a month or two and try again for the donation.

NAOOOOOO!

I insisted the nurse to search for it one more time.

Credits to medicaldaily
This time, I clenched my fist like I am about to punch someone real hard in the face :)
Hooray! My veins are somewhat visible, good enough for the blood donation to take place.


The first injection is the painkiller and the second for the blood itself. Based on my weight, I am only allowed to donate up to 350ML of blood, which almost equals to a can of coke.

Credits to funnypictures
Any more blood that is taken, I would end up like victims in Vampire Diaries.

Same facial expression when I sit a roller coaster
I was quite scared and didn't dare to look at the needle-poking-finding-my-vein process, so I held onto my helmet LOL like how a kid would hold a teddy bear. Well, it didn't really help.


What did help was my comical friends who accompanied me. They just kept talking to me, shoving silly jokes in my face so I would be too busy laughing my head off and be distracted by any form of pain.

Barely 5 minutes later, it was done! Success!


Truth be known, the whole process was actually PAINLESS!

I literally did not really feel anything! The nurses who assisted me were so professional and made sure everything was done at my ultimate comfort.

Like warm ribena
Tada! Fresh warm blood!

I've saved 3 lives today with the amount of blood I've donated and I feel so happy :)
Nothing beats helping others in need.


Have you done your part?
Head on down to Red Cross now and save not one, not two, but at least three lives today!


Gonna ride home and rest now! ;)

Note: Don't drive or ride if you feel dizzy/nauseous/weak after the blood donation.  


Bloodbank@HSA
11 Outram Road, Singapore 169078

Bloodbank@Dhoby Ghaut
Dhoby Xchange (Near Exit B)
#B1-05/06/07/08/09
11 Orchard Road, Singapore 238826


Bloodbank@Woodlands
Woodlands Civic Centre
(Opposite Causeway Point)
900 South Woodlands Drive #05-07, Singapore 730900