Sunday 28 June 2015

Day 26 #B.E. Shigatse - Lhasa Airport : Singapore, I'm Coming Home.


Just barely a month ago, I was sitting comfortably in my balcony back home in Singapore, as I recall being nervous and quietly fearful on the inside about the ride of my life I was about to embark on.

How time flies.

Today, it is almost coming to an end.

After more than 260 hours of riding daily straight for close to a month, crossing through 5 different countries, witnessing many different people and cultures, covering 7,500KM in total now, braving through intense heat to torrential rain, to sub zero dry cold weather fluctuations, and a mix of terrains from road to off road with more than a thousand mountain corners/bends.. I've experienced way more than I expected.

It's life changing.

Look at all the sand in the air
Left Shigatse town and headed for Lhasa Gonggar Airport. The crosswinds were pretty strong today, blowing up all the sand from the ground, with some getting into my eyes.


Usually in the day when its hotter, I'd get a little sleepy. But this time, I was wide awake throughout, as my mind was filled with all the things I thought about, all the emotions I felt, and the unforgettable memories this journey have left me.


I was happy that I was going home and finally getting to see my family and friends, but another part of me held back a little, as the reality of the adventure’s ending is sinking into me.

After all, when you're traveling alone, everything you feel is a lot more intense, a lot more memorable and a lot closer to your heart because you feel everything; from surprise, to confusion, to excitement, to exhaustion, to fear.



As I rode through the mountains ranges slowly, I noticed these little students by the side. Back home in Singapore, we take the public buses, trains and some have the luxury of schoolbuses or our parents sending us to school. Here, these kids walk by the side of mountain roads to learn something new everyday!


Still within the mountains as I approached Lhasa Gonggar Airport, one of the highest (elevation) airport in the world, standing at close to 3,600 metres in altitude.

It wasn't easy building an airport at such high altitude with many hazardous air zones but after many years of trial with a few fatalities, it was finally up successfully in 1965.

Lhasa Gonggar Airport now operates flights within China itself and to nearby Kathmandu, Nepal.


Flying sure makes the world feel small..
But RIDING makes it feel like, the adventure just never ends.


It took me a month to ride all the way from Singapore to the highest region on Earth, Tibet, where Mount Everest stands. Experienced everything wonderful in between, and now I'm boarding a flight back to Singapore where it would take just a couple of hours, with a transit at Cheng Du.



Up it goes!

I unwillingly separated with my trusty bike here as it will be transported back by Land to Thailand and when it arrives in about 2 weeks, I will fly over and bring it back to Singapore.


Time for my Suzuki DR200 to lie down to take a rest, as it travels back from Tibet to Thailand. Really hope my soldier arrives in Thailand safely in one piece!


One last selfie in my full gear here in Tibet!!

A girl's common problem

After changing out of my gears and unloading all the stuff which I brought for my trip, I don't know why I've got more than what my single GIVI 40L duffel bag can hold now.

How to pack everything in?



No choice, gotta buy a box and store all the extra stuffs that overflowed out of my bags. Hahaha



After taking almost an hour trying to fit all my things in my bags and getting them checked in, I went onboard Tibet Airlines and took off!

Heading back home to Singapore :)





[Singapore.Malaysia.Thailand.Laos.China.Tibet.]
[Mileage Clocked: 7,777KM]
[Weather/Temperature: Sunny/Strong Winds/19°C]
[Altitude: 4,300m]
[Terrain: Mountain Roads/Tarmac]

Next: HOME SWEET HOME, SINGAPORE!!