Friday 26 June 2015

Day 24 #B.E. Old Tingri : So This Is How It Feels Like, Seeing Mount Everest LIVE


I never knew I could be this exhilarated upon seeing a road sign, but this is not any ordinary road sign.

This is the sign to Mount Everest Base Camp, and I've traveled through 5 different countries on my little Suzuki dirt bike, covering more than 7,000KM so far, into the Himalayas, to see Mount Everest.


So thankfully, with my RS Taichi Heat Tech thermal inner wear and Termotax vest that heats up after being charged (like how you charge a mobile phone), I didn't turn into a snowman despite the cold weather last night.

Woke up this morning and all ready to get to Everest Base Camp.
I am now JUST 50KM away.


Having stood through the night in the harsh cold winds and sub zero temperature, I was worried my bike wouldn't be able to start. But to my surprise, all I did was pull the choke and it started just fine!


In Tibet, Mount Everest is known as Mount Qomolangma. This is the entrance to the road to Base Camp.


I depart Old Tingri town and embark on the final leg of #BeyondEverest. The journey isn't gonna be smooth; First, there are no more smooth tarmacs from here, but 50KM worth of off road terrain to Base Camp.


There are also 3 military check points to clear over this 50KM that leads to Base Camp.
Boy they're really strict here.

It's sunny but the weather isn't playing nice with dense clouds hovering over the Himalayan mountains, hindering my view.

Credits to tibet-tours
The plan was to get to Everest Base Camp and spend a night at Rongbuk Monastery.

But all plans were dashed when I got to the first check point and was told by the army officers that road up to Base Camp is closed due to a landslide that happened just two days ago.

I was like, "No..way..."

They explained due to my personal safety, they're unable to let me pass until the mess is cleared. When asked how long it'll take to clear up, no definite answer could be given hence my guide wasn't sure what was the next best option due to the restriction of my permit as we are not allowed to stay in this region for long.

Throughout my journey in Tibet so far, I've been constantly reminded by my guide to manage my expectations especially when it comes to refusing entry into sites due to the safety of people. So I took a deep breath, and took a chill pill.

At the north gate entrance to base camp

We discussed and laid out the options:

1st Option: Wait it out. But my permit is in the way and the office to apply for a longer stay is not anywhere close by. It could take days, or even more than a week for the road to be re-opened.

2nd Option: Try to access Base Camp via the North Gate, which means I've to travel backwards. Back towards just after the check point I cleared yesterday to enter the Himalayas Region.

So we decided to go with Option 2 because Option 1 is restricted by my permit.


If you're wondering why I didn't enter Base Camp via the North Gate in the first place is because my itinerary registered with the Tibet government, police, military, tourism bureau and tour agency is to access via Old Tingri town. Itineraries/permits cannot be changed as and when unless it's a case of emergency. Even so, it's always a case by case basis and the change may not be granted.

Like it or hate it, this is Tibet.

As I made my way to the North Gate Entrance, my guide was busy making calls to the respective departments to explain the situation and ask for permission to enter via that route instead.

Credits to pinterest

Due to the speed limitation, it took us hours to get to the North Entrance and to my dismay, it is ALSO CLOSED due to road works. 

The Himalayas
 Otherwise, this is what I would've been seeing. Ahhh!

Look at my sian face
The journey has been more than amazing so far, but I can't deny the fact that it's really a case of "so near yet so far" feeling right now. And the truth is, I was disappointed not being able to get to Mount Everest Base Camp.


I watched the clouds gradually gather in as it started to rain right between me and the Himalayas mountain as I made my way back over a another few hours ride.

Just when I thought all is doom and gloom, after a few hours, the clouds cleared up and what was looking right at me was THE PEAK OF MOUNT EVEREST!! 

Even though I'm looking at it from a distance, the feeling was overwhelming, and tears welled up in my eyes. I can't describe this feeling right now.. I.. was.. just, so so happy.

Credits to wiki

I didn't get to Everest Base Camp due to the circumstances of Mother Nature but I was extremely thankful to have traveled all the way from Singapore to the Himalayas safely and still catch a glimpse of the tallest mountain in the world.

Within minutes, the clouds drew in again.
Sigh, the clouds here in the Himalayas are really unpredictable and they move really quickly.

Credits to tibetexpert: Mount Everest during sunset

Though I got to savour the magnificent breathtaking mind-blowing view of Mount Everest just for a short short while, the image has been captured in my mind and the moment will forever be in my heart.



[Singapore.Malaysia.Thailand.Laos.China.Tibet]
[Mileage Clocked: 7,206KM]
[Weather/Temperature: Sunny/Strong Winds/14°C/3°C]
[Altitude: 4,300m]
[Terrain: Mountain Roads/Tarmac/Gravel]

Next: Shigatse, Tibet