Wednesday 24 June 2015

Day 22 #B.E. Lhasa - Shigatse : Meeting Guinness World Record Holder The GlobeBusters (Nat Geo) And Ascending Over 4,900m Altitude To Magical Yamdrok Lake

With a Tibetan Mastiff and the magical Yamdrok Lake at the backdrop
I leave the Captial of Tibet today, as I head West towards Shigatse (officially known as Xigazê), inching closer to the Himalayas Region. 



Instead of taking National Highway G318 which was shorter, my guide decided we take 307 mountainous route instead where we will ascend over 4,900metres in altitude today and overlook the magical Yamdrok Lake. 

If you look at the distance and time required to complete, you can calculate the speed limitation imposed here.


Took this photo yesterday just in case they move off earlier than I do the next day

So remember the bunch of BMW GS adventure bikes that I bumped into? They actually belong to the The Globe Busters! It wasn't difficult to find out who they were with their awesome decal-ed support vehicle just parked beside, and we were all coincidentally staying at the same hotel in Lhasa!

Credits to Globebusters
As featured on National Geographic and not once, but two times Guinness World Record holder! Rewarded for out-of-this-world rides they did, being a Worldwide Motorcycle Expedition & Tours professional.

Credits to overlandmag
Rides from Alaska to Patagonia, Dehli to Bangkok and Southern Africa, the Globe Busters has done it all. Now they are on their latest adventure ride from London to Beijing and Lhasa is where I bumped into them! Where they are about 3 weeks from Beijing.

With the Globe Busters

I had the honor to meet the co-founder of The Globe Busters, Kevin Sanders, who has been riding since he was 17 years old and remained in this trade for decades. He and the rest of the bikers were kind to invite me over to their table during breakfast as they learnt that I am the owner of my little trusty Suzuki DR200 parked among them. Hahaha.


With the Globebusters

Even just over a short meal time, I was astounded to hear the adventure stories they generously shared involving their rides through different countries and terrains.

I almost lost track of time while listening to their stories until my guide signaled me it was time to go :(

All of them finished breakfast and walked me to my humble bike. With my RS Taichi gears all zipped up and engine warmed up, I hopped onto my bike and ready to move off as they all waved with big smiles on their faces.

On the way to Shigatse (Rikaze in Mandarin)

Just as I was about to go, Kevin passed me a little gift: Two sets of DVDs of the adventures rides the Globe Busters has done!

On the way to Shigatse

AWESOMENESS!!

I was sooo happy! Can't wait to watch it together with my friends when I get home! Hopefully it'll inspire them to get their asses off the couch and plan a ride of their lives soon too!

Heading for Gyangtse
Off I went, first stop was Gyangtse (hmm somehow the word looks a bit like Gangster lol). Ok there are no gangsters here in the mountains, only tribes.


And local Tibetans who just love walking, from mountain to mountain. These healthy people..



Blue skies, green lakes and endless mountains. From an altitude of 3,650m, I start my ascend here to 4,400m above sea level.

Just when the scenery was getting a little repetitive as I was riding up, this was revealed to me...

I can laze together with the Tibetan Mastiff all day long hereeee!

The breathtaking Yamdrok Lake!

You know when you see something SO alluring, SO beautiful, something you've never seen before, you can't contain the joy, you just can't stop laughing.

No?

Ok then it's just me thennn! I was so amazed, I couldn't stop laughing in my helmet till my cheeks were numb!



Look at how turquoise blue the lake was, and how calm the surface is! The Lake had a mirror effect, reflecting the color of the sky.

So THIS is why my guide chose to take route 307 instead of G318! It's not about choosing the shortest route all the time. Sometimes taking the longer route is way more worth it.


Yamdrok Lake is a freshwater lake stretching more than 70KM long and is one of three sacred lakes in Tibet. Local myth has it that Yamdrok Lake was a transformation from a goddess.

She must be so damn beautiful then, cuz the lake is! :D

Somehow this Tibetan boy is looking at me like I'm some alien

The weather took a turn upon arriving at Mount Ning Jin Kang Sang where it stands at 7,206m tall.

It was first climbed by a Tibetan-Chinese in 1986 and has remained as a pretty popular climbing spot due to it's easy accessibility and uncomplicated logistics requirements.

Staring at the Karola Glacier

Let's take a closer look. Hmm.. doesn't seem difficult to ride up to it's peak too! SHALL WE? :D


Uh~ Just as I was about to attempt, a local Tibetan on his motorcycle held me back and told me I'm not allowed to.

Bleah.

It was cold now with no sun, about 8 degrees. As I was admiring the scenery, this little Tibetan boy ran over and lay both his palms on my exhaust pipe to warm his hands. I told him it'll scald but he doesn't seem to care.

Oh well, whatever that keeps him warm eh.


Rode out of the threatening weather, into the Tsang province of Tibet where I stay a night in Shigatse city. And! it's back to a sunshine!

See how much and how fast the weather can fluctuate here in high altitude mountainous areas?

By now, I trust my RS Taichi gears up to 90% already as it has served me so well throughout.
The final test will be the harsh weather conditions in the Himalayas Region!

TOMORROW :)







[Singapore.Malaysia.Thailand.Laos.China.Tibet]
[Mileage Clocked: 6,742KM]
[Weather/Temperature: Sunny/Light Drizzle/15°C/8°C]
[Altitude: 4,900m]
[Terrain: Mountain Roads/Tarmac]

Next: Old Tingri, Himalayas Region