Saturday 13 June 2015

Day 11 #B.E. Shuang Jiang - Dali : Starting My Altitude Ascent With Heavy Fog, 5 Metre Visibility & Illegally Dashing Across For The Highway

Dali, credits to wiki
Dali Ancient Town City is very popular among tourists, and everyone who's been here would give you at least 5 reasons to visit this place, from it's all natural beautiful scenery to the richness of its heritage culture. With a population of about half a million, Dali is considered a big city and I can't wait to explore this place as I'll be riding over today.

A bun a day keeps the doctor away, who says?

People say a good breakfast is important and it can help start your day really well!

Pardon my sad breakfast, as all I had was a bun when I woke up this morning just before moving off to my very first ascend in altitude at 1,900m. Didn't have much appetite too and was feeling a little sleepy still :/


What woke me up was the really heavy fog as we continued into the mountains today! Visibility awas less than 5 metres and whatever that's beyond just disappears. Like, I widened my eyes and I still can't see anything beyond! Hahaha I can't see shiiaattt!

Now, wait a minute!


Ah ha!

I have my powederful FOG LIGHTS, I remember, installed by Unique Motorsports who predicted I would go through such a situation.

I switched it on and immediately I see my battery volt metre showing how much energy it's using, but no choice. I needed it not so much for shining through the fog but it's more of letting other road users in the opposite direction know that I'm there.



Then it started to rain, which made the fog EVEN worse, and the winds were blowing harshly too. I had to go down to as slow as 30kmh as I see vehicles from the opposite direction coming to me in my lane when they overtake a heavy vehicle on their own lane. This makes it extremely dangerous because you can’t see anything, and in the very next second, you see this car coming right at you. 

A car that drove right into the drain due to the poor visibility the fog caused

Yes, you may have the right of way in your lane. But who cares? Here in China, you give way no matter what if you want to stay alive. 


Finally, the rain reduced to a light drizzle before stopping completely, and the fog started to clear up. I finally get to see what's around me, a jade green lake in between the mountains.


Stopped over in Lin Cang and had lunch at restaurant that had an old school oriental interior design. Now I feel like I’m in China!


Weather was sunny one moment, and the next it was pouring or foggy. That’s the thing about weather conditions in the mountain areas as it fluctuates quite a bit.

But I'm FEARLESS >:) 

Really have to thank Hodaka Motoworld for carefully advising and choosing the gears for me as I am dressed for whatever the weather is so far! Be it dry, hot, cool, rain, wet, foggy, the RS Taichi Drymaster jacket and pants passed all the test. 

Imagine if I had gears that were not suitable.. man, the whole journey will be so uncomfortable and inconvenient.


Continued on towards the direction of Dali as you can see the color of my bike and gears begin to slowly change. Haha to a warmer dusty brown.

One of the mountain toilets
Toilets built in the mountains varies in different countries, some are impressively clean, and there are those you can't bear to stand even a few metres from it because the smell just wards anyone off. 

Don't expect any flush system. If you're lucky, you have low walls separating each "cubicle". If not, it's just.. a hole. 

Honestly if you ask me, I'd choose the NATURE TOILET anytime hahahaaha. For guys, easy luh. For girls, hmm you've to find a fluffy bush or a big tree. LOL. But it beats the man-made toilets anytime! At least you don't get tons of flies surrounding your ass or ears and no foul smells. 

Ok sorry, am I being too detailed here? Hahaha.

I'm so gonna nail this! LOL
Motorcycles are NOT ALLOWED on tolled expressways in China.

But to save time as it was getting dark, my local guide told me to just heck the police guard, dash across the barrier and get onto the highway. 

I was like "HUH? CAN MEH? How to??"

One last selfie before I dash across
I got to the entrance of the highway, and there were officers guarding around, how am I going to dash across? I thought.

What if they record my number plate and arrest me at my exit station?
What if I get caught for this?
What if they shoot me down?

I was nervous, I stood there thinking how to do this for 20 minutes until the sun was really going down, I knew I just had to just do it.

On the highway
Confidently blur I looked, as I held onto my throttle and whoosh! I dashed across the guards. I heard them shouting out to me, but I did not look back.

Inside my head, I was like "Omg please don't shoot me! My riding jacket back protector is not bullet-proof!"

So off I went, onto the highway that took me directly to Dali :)

Credits to climbdali
Though commercialized, Dali retains the beauty of its rich heritage culture that can be seen everywhere. If you ride all the way here, please have at least 1 - 2 spare days here to explore the treasures of this place.

Credits to en.kunming.cn
I didn't have the time of luxury to do so, spending just one night here. I only caught a glimpse of the night scene, but it already caught my heart. Shops and restaurants were decorated with pretty lanterns dangling around, lighting up the streets.

Dali Old Ancient Town was flooded with people, both tourists and locals enjoying the bustling atmosphere. I walked around just a little in this 18 degrees cooling weather before retiring to the hotel to rest for tomorrow, I will be heading to UNESCO World Heritage Site - The Old Town of Li Jiang.


[Singapore.Malaysia.Thailand.Laos.China]
[Mileage Clocked: 4,608KM]
[Weather/Temperature: Foggy/Gloomy/18°C]
[Terrain: Mountain Roads/Tarmac/Smooth]

Next stop: Li Jiang, China