Tuesday 9 June 2015

Day 7 #B.E. Bangkok - Chiang Rai : Playing Catch Up Over 1,000KM Straight


Bangkok - Nakhon Sawan - Sukothai - Lampang - Chiang Rai.

Sleeping at 2am and waking up at 5am is.. pure torture. I’m exhausted. And I’m even more exhausted at the thought of having to ride close to 1,000KM straight, through 16 hours from Bangkok to Chiang Rai to play catch up today.

Setting off at the break of dawn

Due to almost spending the whole day at the bike shop fixing up my scratched cam shaft, today I had to go the distance to be back on track, as per my schedule.

My timeline was tight, clocking mileage daily to reach my respective destination on time so I can get into China as per my permit entry date. I didn’t have any time allowance because I couldn’t afford to.

Trying to blog on the go but the slow internet is not helping
I decided not to dwell on the distance I’ve to cover today, and take it one step at a time instead. I focus on the provinces I had to pass through, one by one. 

First, it was towards Nakhon Sawan – Lampang – Chiang Rai on AH2 all the way. 

Lunch



Skipped breakfast and had a quick lunch, stopping only for fuel and toilet breaks.

The sun was at full force when noon came, at 40 degrees. I had to cover up as much as possible to avoid getting sun burnt anywhere. 



Being able to only travel at 90kmh and below due to my cam shaft damage, time calculated to reach my destination depressingly increased. I cannot full ball anymoreee. I just have to live with it through this journey I guess. As long as my bike can start and move, no complaints.

The heat and full concentration while riding on the road takes up a lot of energy. With these two combined, I was dozing off each time I blinked when the weather got really hot. It felt like being in a burning oven. I lifted my visor for some cool air only to get hot air blowing in my face.

So I rode.

Halfway through, I stopped for refuel and realized my tool pouch is gone. Due to the super bumpy sections, it actually dropped off. Maybe I didn’t secure it properly. Gahh!

Credits to omgface
Called up a good Thai friend and he immediately prepared a new bag of tools for me to pick up along the way. Thank god for good friends!!


Riding at night in the mountainous roads is a no no. Visibility was low, no street lamps at all, sharp curvy roads and many big trucks are on the road as that is the time where it has the least traffic.

But I had no choice. By the time I reached Lampang, it was 6:30PM and I still had 300KM more to go, to reach Chiang Rai.

Into the mountains I went, as the sun started to set real fast. Before you know it, I find myself in pitch dark areas where just my headlight wasn’t enough. That’s when I used my.. FOG LIGHTS.
Installed by Unique Motorsports.

It’s damn BRIGHT, its POWERFUL, and, it takes up quite a bit of power from my battery. Haha.
So I have to use it conservatively.

Dozens of fireflies kept hitting against my visor, helmet and jacket.
I don’t know how I’m gonna get rid of them when I reach the hotel.

I didn't find my hotel but I found my possible origin place hahaha
So finally, after 16 hours, I arrived into Chiang Mai, pretty half dead as my arms drop to the side lifelessly. I keyed in my hotel’s address, and of all times, my GPS decided to bring me HOLAN!

It took me into construction sites, almost into the jungle and routes that you know does not link through.

I was tired, I was lost, and heaven started to rain down on me.
How wonderful.

By now, I really have no mood or strength to take photos so just try to imagine my sad situation ok. 

Credits to dailystar. Sorry I had to use Rooney's face lol

I stopped by and asked locals on the location of my hotel but none knew. Furthermore, it was not easy to communicate with chicken and duck hand language.  After a while, I called the hotel only to find out that it’s still a 100KM away from me.


I couldn’t do any more distance because I was overly exhausted and the roads are wet. It isn’t safe. So I checked into The Infinity Suites, it was the nearest hotel to me, wherever I was at at that point of time. 600baht, simple and clean.

Tired as hell but still need to do laundry if not no clothes to wear:(((
It’s 1:00AM.
Showered, did laundry and K.O.


[Singapore.Malaysia.Thailand.]
[Mileage Clocked: 3,400KM]
[Weather/Temperature: Day Sunny/40°C/Night, Wet/25°C]
[Terrain: Road/Average Tarmac]


Next stop: Chiang Khong Border - Laos